Friday, December 7, 2012

Spectacular Spin in Wurzburg

Kaisercraft’s Just Believe Collection was a great line for a two-page layout on a day in Wurzburg, Germany during a Holiday Markets cruis.  I had a lot of pictures so wanted to design a layout that could be used for several photos.  This one displays five.

The left and right backgrounds almost identical.  Each is made using four pieces of paper (both sides of Hymm & Magic paper)  On the left side, they are  squares of 12” , 11 ½” , 10 ¾” and 10 ¼”.    On the right side, I made the Magic pages just a little smaller (10 ¾” x 10 ½” and 10 ¼” x 10”) and added a 10 ¾” x 1 ½” strip from Glisten that has an interesting design that coordinates well with the other papers. On the second side of Hymm, I punched two sides with a stamp around the page punch so that they meet in the middle.

A few of the die cuts from the Just Believe Collectables added some charm, but the real highlight of this layout is three embellishments made with the Spellbinders Spectacular Spin die.   I saw this die at ScrapbooksPlus and knew I had to use it.   What is unique about these dies is that you cut out the design with the die, then you fold certain parts and tuck them so they stay.  The result is a fun design that looks kind of like a quilt square.  I used the Keepsakes paper, producing a nice contrast with the red on one side and a white with green on the other.  The sets includes three dies (1 ⅝”, 2 ⅝” & 3 ¾”). I used one of each in the layout, adding a button for the center and putting some light cardstock on the back as I used them in places that I didn’t want the background to show through. 

The title was created with the Winter Wonderland Cricut cartridge using Keepsakes for the shadow and Hymm for the letters.  I wanted to show what I purchased so I added a little arrow cut with Tim Holtz Sizzix Movers and Shapers die and wrote “My Purchases” on it to point from the bag to a tiny picture on a small die from the Just Believe Collectables.  I think it actually looks better without this, but for me telling the story is always the most important part.

No comments: