Sunday, December 23, 2012

Creating A Great Layout without Great Pictures

The most interesting story from last Christmas in our family was the challenge my son and niece had in putting together a ping pong table for my nephew.  Even though it was an important aspect of our Christmas that I wanted to journal, I did not have great pictures so I couldn’t tell the story with pictures.  Using a little creativity, I created a layout that tells the story in an attractive way with only two small pictures and not great ones at that.  Perhaps this layout can inspire you to tell some stories even though you don’t have great pictures.  Alternatively, you could use this layout  with a large picture in the photo box.

I used the KaiserCraft Just Believe Magic paper for the background and added an almost square piece of Keepsake paper to the right bottom corner.  I punched the left side with  a small scallop edging punch. 

I really like the metallic paper (sold at Scrapbooks Plus in a variety of colors) so I used the turquoise metallic paper for title and accents.  Since I didn’t have good pictures, I made a large title the focus of this page.  I cut letters in three different sizes, three fonts and two different papers with my Cricut.  To add a graphic representation of their rush against time, I added an alarm clock cut with the Tim Holtz Sizzix Movers and Shapers.  I made a photo mat using a 6” square of metallic paper  and a slightly smaller square of Keepsakes.  I added two small photos and a subtitle using the line’s Alpha Sticker set. 

I printed the journaling on a 2 ½” x 11” piece of Hymm paper.  I punched the bottom with the same edging punch used on the background.   To add some focus, I added a strip of the metallic paper at the top of the journaling and punched the bottom with the edging punch.  I added the label strip from Keepsakes paper to the metallic strip and added natural-colored small rickrack at the top.  To add the final touches, I added the date from the sticker set and ½ of one of the journaling blocks from the Collectibles set.

No comments: