Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Glittered Chipboard and Wooden Shapes

Sometimes I have a hard time coming up with clever designs for cards. This month, I opted for easy. I took plain black card stock and folded in half to make the base of the card. I covered the entire front with a scrap of My Mind's Eye "Boo to You", leaving only 1/4" edge. I created a glittered embellishment as the "eye candy" for the card. These glittered embellishments are super easy to make and can really add pizazz to your cards and your scrapbook pages. This wooden black cat was left over from my "Bewitched" class I taught last year. I decided to make other glittered embellishments for cards and pages planned for this autumn.
To make these bejewelled treasures, all you need are die cut chipboard or wooden shapes, acrylic paint and Martha Stewart glitter. Shown here are two chipboard leaves cut from the Accucut dies available to use for free at Scrapbooks-Plus. There are a number of really cute dies available at the store, including leaves, pumpkins, apples, etc. The wooden shapes (the cat and the bat) were bought last year at a box craft store when they went on sale after the Halloween holiday (25 cents each!).


I mixed a little acrylic paint with a little water on a paper plate and painted the piece. While it was wet, I sprinkled the piece with Martha Stewart fine glitter. I used Brownstone for the bat.



For the chipboard leaf, I used a little red paint mixed with metallic gold paint (and water of course to keep it wet longer). I sprinkled the main body of the leaf with Carnelian. Garnet would have worked equally as well. I sprinkled the edges with Florentine Gold and Copper mixed for a more "natural" look.



You can see the beautiful results. To keep your piece from getting glitter all over your envelope, scrapbook and/or face, spray it with two coats of White Rain hair spray (the cheaper the hair spray, the better!) Remember that hair spray is not acid free, so keep the piece away from your pictures in your scrapbook.


Scrapbooks-Plus has a variety of Martha Stewart Glitter for sale at the store. And remember, your coupon for 40% on Wednesdays works on ALL products at Scrapbooks-Plus, including Martha Stewart products! (Unlike those big box stores!).
Happy glittering!
P.S. And for another reason to come by the store on Wednesdays are the make and take/two-page layout. This week (10/28/09): My two-page Halloween "Spooktacular" Basic Grey layout (using the new Eerie line of papers) with a minibook make-and-take. The minibook's cover features this really cool black velvet witch riding over a glimmering full moon! Supplies are very limited, so come early!!





1 comment:

Deborah Mahnken said...

Have to say, these look even better IRL!