Friday, July 4, 2008

Beach fun

Hi all,

This month's paper had that wonderful beachy feel, and when I found the Bo Bunny Beach word book, well, I knew exactly what I'd be doing for my project. Last year, my husband and I went beach camping with my BFF, her husband and her two awesome boys. You couldn't ask for better content for a summer mini!



I started by covering each letter with Liquitex Matte Medium, adding my paper and then rolling my brayer over it to get out extra air. I set each letter under a heavy object to dry for a bit. (The heavy object helps keep the chipboard letter from bowing.) Using a gel medium rather than a tape runner ensures that my paper won't be going anywhere soon (or later for that matter). Once dry, I cut out the letters using an X-acto knife, using the chipboard as my guide. I sanded the edges using Basic Grey's sanding tools and then inked each page with a complementary color using a sponge dauber. (Those things always remind me of the game Trouble because I'd stick the game pieces on my fingers.)

Now my pages were ready for photos and embellishments. Once I decided how to organize my album (I went with a handy-dandy list format), I selected my photos. Here, I was going with what you need for good beach camping. Naturally, you need a good site. Well, the "B" wasn't all that wide, certainly not wide enough for a 6x4 photo that showed our site. Rather than making my photo itty-bitty, I cut down a 6x4 to fit across the "B" and "E." That solved my problem.



Another way to get in photos is to paste two photos back to back and use that as a page. I love doing this because the different size adds that something special to the project, and because it's super easy. :) Another way is to create li'l folders on one a page. Open each folder to reveal more of the story and more photos.



Using some of my scraps, I made folder tags and created hinges using my tabs punch. (I recommend using the longer tab punch rather than the circle one. If you use the circle one, be sure to reinforce it. Otherwise, it'll tear off, leaving you tabless and full of woe. Yes, I was full of woe until I fixed it.)



Another favorite "trick" is to create a ribbon accordion album and add that to your page. It folds up nicely, revealing one photo, but untuck it from the paperclip to reveal a sequence of photos.





The back side includes more photos and some journaling. And you can make these as long and complicated as you like. All it takes is matting your 6x4 photos onto card stock and adding a long strip of ribbon to back side of the card stock pieces. Leave a little bit of ribbon on one of the ends as a pull. Then fold them accordion-style. Viola! You're done. This is another great way to get in those panorama-style photos we all love to take.

Before I knew it, I had reached my last letter, which was No. 7 on my list. This page was large enough that I could add a bunch of photos directly to the page. Overall, I was happy with the amount of photos I was able to get into the album. Everything was there that I wanted to be there, down to the big slab of butter that was thrown into the pot for some homemade apple pie. The rings on this album also make it easy to go back and add more photos or other items if I so desire.

Hmmm, maybe another piece of Hambly ...

No comments: