Monday, February 7, 2011

Valentine's Day Cards

Hi! It’s Kathy Bryant one of the new members of Scrapbook Plus’s Design Team. I have been scrapping for more than a decade. Most of my scrapping focuses on family, travel or both. I like designs that include lots of photos. I look forward to sharing my ideas and designs with you. I hope you’ll comment on my blogs. Your feedback will help me to meet your needs. [Simply click on comment underneath the blog to provide feedback.]


With just a few items you can make unique cards, like the one I made for this month’s design challenge. Although mine is an anniversary card, it would be a great Valentine’s Day card – for your spouse, your Mom or an aunt. Who doesn’t love to get a handmade card? The English Rose Collection is great for romantic cards.


I used two special items in this card – canvas and embossed plastic. I stamped the card’s message on canvas strip. Using canvas in cards or scrapbooking pages can add texture. The adhesive-backed canvas is available in either the 8 1/2 x 11 or 12 x 12 size. It can be cut into whatever shape you need and you can stamp or paint on it. If you want another color you can spray it with Glimmer Mist.
I used plastic to create a little more texture and interest to the card. (This is a subtle thing and hard to see in picture.) Cut a piece of plastic (like those you get product in) to the desired shape and run it through an embossing machine. In addition to looking good, it is green! For Valentine's Day you could emboss plastics with hearts.

Interesting ribbons can also be used to make great Valentine cards. This pink heart ribbon with the ruffled ribbon makes great trim for a Valentine. I used it for this baby card. It also comes in red. Of course, if the color you need is not available you can spray the ribbon with Glimmer Mist to change the color. I created some to match the English Rose Collection.


I used another fun set of ribbons to make a valentine for my sister, the seamstress. I picked ribbon that looks like rick rack. It comes in many colors. This would also be great for kids cards.
For my niece, the purse aficionado I made a purse using the Snap On Envelope stamp and a piece of ribbon for the handle. I stamped the purse and the hearts from the Basic Grey Love Stamps with Dusty Concord Distress Ink. I then embossed them with a clear embossing powder. I trimed the card with the same ribbon used for the handle.

I feel so good to have my valentines made a week in advance. I’ll talk to you again on the 14th. Kathy

3 comments:

Marie said...

Kathy, these are amazing. I love the purse one. What a creative use of materials and a way to really get at the heart of the recipient.

Sarah said...

Kathy, Wow! How beautiful and creative. I am impressed. I can't wait to read next week's post!

Karen Bearse said...

Hey Kathy, great job-love the canvas! Welcome to the design team!